Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Please let me know that you have visited by commenting on the post(s) you have read so I can visit your blog in return.

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Gluten Free Griddle Bread

With Passover around the corner I've been hunting around in my notes and books for my favourite flat bread and cake recipes etc.  I will make these with the children and use the opportunity to explain to them why the Israelites left Egypt so fast that they couldn't make normal bread.

When I think about the fleeing Israelites and bread I think of cooking over an open camp-fire or in it's embers with bake stones or griddle pans. I will be using a large, heavy, cast-iron crepe pan on my hob instead.

Today I'd like to share with you a recipe for a basic Gluten Free Griddle Bread. Based on a Traditional Indian recipe it also works with different flours, with varying results in colour and flavour. Feel free to substitute for any flours you normally use at home.

Ingredients:

  • Sorghum Flour
  • Filtered Water
  • Sesame Seeds

Method:

  1. Slowly add water to the flour to make a stiff dough
  2. With damp hands, divide up the dough and form into balls
  3. Heat the griddle pan
  4. Wet your hands, and flatten the balls into thick disks in your hands, keep the disk wet at all times.
  5. Place the disk onto the hot griddle and sprinkle with Sesame Seeds.
  6. When the bottom of the disk is crisp turn it over and cook the other side.
  7. Place a cloth napkin on the sideboard and place the cooked breads in it, covering them with the cloth to keep warm.

I previously shared a Buckwheat Blini recipe as part of Gluten Free Awareness week. If you are adhering to strict unleavened rules this Holiday then make the Blinis without the Bicarbonate of Soda and Cream of Tartar, otherwise enjoy them as per the recipe.


1 comment:

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 3 post on Apr. 05, 2012. Thanks again.